**Pictured is the Happy Planner Chevron Student Edition. It’s a boxed kit that comes with all of the goodies pictured — perfect for a planner newbie!
“I’m a Happy Planner newbie. Where do I start?”
If you can relate to this question, this is the post for you. This is one of the planning questions I get asked most often, and there are a few tips I always share.
- Don’t buy everything at first. I know you want to. Start with a planner, a couple packs of stickers, some washi tape and some pens that you love. (MAMBI sticker packs and washi are my favorite! It’s so easy to coordinate your supplies, which makes decorating even easier. Hint: Every Happy Planner this year has a tube of washi that matches it!)
There is so much cute stuff, and I understand that you want to #buyallthestickers. The more you buy, the more overwhelmed you will be when you sit down to plan, and you’ll be less likely to stick with it. I’ve seen so many people buy one of everything in the paper crafting section at Hobby Lobby. Then two months later, they’re selling it all because they were to overwhelmed to get into it.
Planning is so much fun, and I want you to be around for awhile!
- Do experiment! How are you going to know if you like a planning style if you don’t try it? Experimenting with different styles you see on Pinterest and Instagram will help you discover your own style. You’ll find things you love in other people’s planners, but hate in your own and vice versa.
- Don’t be discouraged if you don’t like your weekly spread. The cool thing about planning is that every week, you get a completely fresh start.
- Do get involved. The planner community is one of the things that make this hobby so fun! Follow some planners on Instagram and join a few Happy Planner Facebook groups. There’s room for everyone at the planner table, so don’t be shy!
- Don’t worry about what everyone else is doing. Find what works for you and your life. A planner should help you live a more organized and productive life. If it’s not helping you, figure out how to change it up so that it is helping you.
- Do have fun! Remember this should be fun. Jump in and stop worrying about doing it wrong. There is no wrong way to plan!
What planner newbie tips would you add to this list? Let me know in the comments!